The Cincinnati Symphony and Pops Orchestra (CSO/CPO) librarians also provide library services for Cincinnati May Festival, Cincinnati Opera, and Cincinnati Ballet. Work hours will occur primarily on weekdays between 9AM and 5PM, but require some flexibility. Evening and weekend work hours will include rehearsals, concert duty rotation, and auditions. Occasional travel to venues, both downtown and around greater Cincinnati is required.
• Assist in the preparation of music for all CSO, CPO, and May Festival rehearsals and performances. General responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• editing and proofing;
• adding measure numbers or rehearsal letters;
• marking cuts or preparing inserts;
• preparing and breaking down orchestra folders;
• fixing page turns and photocopying;
• participating in concert duty rotation
• Assist in all preparation of Cincinnati Opera music, including checking PVs against full scores, marking cuts and inserts, working with banda parts, and creating excerpts for the annual Gala concert.
• Assist in all preparation of Cincinnati Ballet music, including marking and checking extensive cuts and inserts.
• Catalog and file CSO, CPO, MF, CO, and CB sets and new works.
• Ship rental music to publishers and maintain shipping records.
• All other duties as assigned. Specific responsibilities will also include:
• Project management of Young People’s and Lollipop concerts;
• Preparation of audition materials;
• Administration of Louis Langrée’s personal library, including shipping materials to other orchestras and maintaining database;
• Maintenance of the Library section of the orchestra musicians’ website (via Dropbox).
• Perform other duties as assigned.
The Assistant Librarian will report to the Principal Librarian to provide support for the day-to-day functioning of the library.
• The successful candidate is expected to have a degree in music, and therefore will be knowledgeable in performance practices, composition, music theory, and foreign language music terms. Working knowledge of office computer systems is also expected.
• The successful candidate will have prior music library experience, preferably with a professional and/or MOLA-member orchestra.
• The successful candidate’s strengths will include:
• attention to detail and ability to efficiently produce neat work;
• ability to prioritize tasks and consistently meet deadlines;
• ability to work independently;
• ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
• excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• The successful candidate must be reliable, prompt, and must respect sensitive or confidential information.
• The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to the responsibilities of the CSO/CPO Library.
• Knowledge of OPAS, Adobe Acrobat, or of music preparation software (such as Finale or Sibelius) is a plus.
• Must be able to lift 30 pounds.
Compensation and Benefits: The Assistant Librarian position garners a competitive salary. The CSO offers generous benefits including; medical, dental, long term disability, life insurance, health savings account, 403(b) participation and employer contribution, and the opportunity to work for an artistically thriving and financially stable nonprofit organization
Please send cover letter and resume via the apply button or email at: email@example.com
Please put “Assistant Librarian” in the subject line.
No third party applications will be accepted.