Director of Communications
The Director of Communications effectively manages day-to-day media relations on behalf of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Pops, Cincinnati May Festival and Vocal Arts Ensemble including CSO, Pops and May Festival concerts, as well as education/community engagement efforts, and recording, television and touring projects. This individual also implements the organization’s media strategy, and serves as the project manager for Fanfare Cincinnati, the Orchestra’s monthly program book magazine, and the Annual Report. The Director of Communications Department works closely with staff across all of the organization’s departments to ensure best-in-class communications throughout.
• Lead effective media relation effect
• Inform and implement the media strategy for each season, as set by the Vice president of • • Communications.
• Write and distribute quality press releases and media alerts.
• Proactively pitch targeted media to obtain stories in newspapers, magazines, websites, and television/radio.
• Work with the Vice President of Communications to proactively develop media relationships and convey the organization’s message, mission, vision and values.
• Research and build relationships with diverse media outlets.
• Oversee the maintenance of the organization’s media contact database and create media reports.
• Plan and execute video/photo shoots and press interviews, including overseeing site coordination, scheduling and logistics.
• Serve as Communications staff person on duty at some concerts, enforcing media guidelines and assisting critics with questions.
• Oversee media clipping services and reporting.
• Attend strategic networking events.
• Serve as Project Manager for the Fanfare Cincinnati program book
• Direct planning, logistics and the creation of content and graphics.
• Serve as liaison and supervisor to the freelance editor and liaison with the magazine’s publisher.
• Ensure the magazine has strong content and tells the organization’s story through worlds and images.
• Work closely across departments to ensure expectations are being met with the magazine.
• Serve as Project Manager for video content shoots
• Work with the Digital Communications Manager to plan and execute video shoots and serve as liaison to video producers through editing and other post-production work.
• Ensure best-in-class quality videos
• Help to lead social media efforts
• Provide compelling content, links and photos.
• Collaboratively direct the Orchestra’s Instagram account, and assist with Facebook/Twitter content and posting.
• Ensure video materials are being properly leveraged online through Facebook, YouTube and other services.
• Ensure artistic leadership is well represented in the social media world.
• Direct photography budget
• Manage the photography budget.
• Ensure and supervise professional photographers when necessary.
• Take quality photos and direct other staff people to take photos.
• Ensure photos are being properly leveraged though the traditional media and social media.
• Schedule and oversee photos sessions.
• Oversee the management the organization’s photography files.
• Work across departments to ensure the report is best-in-class.
• Supervise the Communications Assistant and department interns.
• Represent the CSO at collaborative meetings with ArtsWave and other arts organizations.
• Assist the Vice President of Communications with strategic planning and budgeting. Work to control expenses and meet budget targets.
• Serve on the project team for the Fanfare Cincinnati recording label, ensuring the Orchestra’s recording are being properly leveraged locally, nationally and internationally.
• Work toward increases in concert attendance and giving.
• Special projects as assigned by the Vice President of Communications.
• Other duties as assigned
The Director of Communications reports to the Vice President of Communications.
• Excellent verbal and writing skills.
• Experience in the public relations strategic planning process.
• Media relations experience.
• Experience with social media platforms.
• Experience with photography and videography.
• Ability to organize and prioritize work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Knowledge of emerging communications technologies.
• Experience working with variety of personalities in team situations.
• Background in or working knowledge of classical music required.
• Ability to frequently work nights and weekends.
• Bachelor’s degree required
The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra offers a competitive wage and benefits package, including health, dental, vision, life, and parking. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The CSO celebrates diversity! We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity, Minority, Female, Disabled, Veteran Employer.
Please send cover letter, resume and link to portfolio or blog via APPLY or to:
Please put “Director of Communications” in the subject line.
No third party applications will be accepted.