The goal of the Nouveau Program is to support increased participation in classical music by African American and Latinx student musicians by providing equitable opportunities for music study and performance.
The Nouveau Program includes several groups and students must audition to participate. Nouveau members receive weekly chamber coaching, perform throughout the season, and participate in age appropriate workshops and activities.
- Novice - Students who have played 1-2 years
- Apprentice - Students who are at an intermediate or advanced level
- Chamber Players - Students who are at an advanced level. The instrumentation in this group is a double quartet.
- Winds - Students in grades 9-12 who are at an intermediate or advanced level
Students who plan on pursuing a career in music may audition to become a Nouveau Fellow. This position consists of a comprehensive training experience for students. The student receives weekly lessons, music theory, advising, chamber music coaching, large ensemble participation, and financial assistance for summer music study and college auditions. Students who play flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, French horn, trumpet, trombone, harp, violin, viola, cello, and double bass may audition to become a Nouveau Fellow.
1. Complete the online application.
2. The application will require the submission of an audio or video link. These do not have to be professionally produced. A submission made on a smartphone is acceptable. The file should include selections that demonstrate lyrical and technical playing.
3. Application requirements to be accepted as a Nouveau Fellow include the a) online application, b) a letter of reference from your school music director, and c) an interview with the student and parent/guardian.